EAST DEAN & FRISTON LOCAL HISTORY GROUP

Our next meeting is on Wednesday, 24 October. Click here for details.
WE HOPE that members will feel inspired to contribute some local history items that they have discovered. To get them published here, please contact us.
SEPTEMBER MEETING REPORT

Peter Harrison told us of the medical treasures found on clearing his parents' home in Cumbria, after his father's death in 2010. Both his father, a surgeon, and his mother were great collectors and it took many hours over 16 days to sift through their belongings. Among them was a diary, recording his father's medical responsibilities at RAF Lüneburg in 1947, and many poignant photographs of the devastated German cities and the extreme poverty of their residents. These formed a rare record of life in Germany after WW2 and were the basis of his talk and a book, called “The Medical Officer’s Diary RAF Lüneburg 1947”.

A less welcome discovery was the several containers of chemicals, including pitric acid which had dried out and was potentially explosive. Although all were disposed of responsibility, it did cause a headache for the local council who had to call in the bomb squad to handle it.

On 28th November we  welcome Jo Seaman: Medieval Graffiti in Sussex including East Dean. "Was it vandalism or history" is the question Jo addresses.
This photograph, from the 1950s, appears to show Donald Swann (of Flanders and Swann fame) seated at a harmonium on the village green. We would really like to know more about it so, if you remember the occasion or can identify anyone in it, please contact us.
Here is a post card showing the forge at East Dean with blacksmith Luther Hills, and another unidentified man, standing outside. It was sent in 1949 to Mrs Gardner of St George's Square in London SW1. Mr Richardson wrote on it:

"The weather has been rather sunny & foggy in turns & the temperatures enervating."
This dramatic post card was published by A E Marchant, a wholesale newsagent based in Seaford. It shows rough seas pounding Seaford beach before it was raised and re-inforced in 1987 to prevent flooding in the town. The salt spray is drifting over some parked cars of early 1960s vintage and a loan crane on the beach (left) struggles, Canute-like, to turn back the tide!

In the photo Martello Tower no. 74 still has the additions put on top to make it into a cafe, and described by Dirk Bogarde as "a very curious and dampish place" where they took tea after swimming. These alterations have now been removed and the tower has taken on the more dignified role as the town's museum.
This is our stall and exhibition at the Village Fete in June. The weather was kinder this year, with no repeat of last year's downpour.

There were lots of visitors. Booklet sales and comments about the exhibition were encouraging, and a good number of new members were signed up.

Thanks to everyone who helped set up those pesky tents, and a special 'thank you' to those who visited our stall. Now it's time to pack it all away until next year.
There was a very successful and interesting visit to the Eastbourne Town Hall on the 13 August.

It was a guided tour of Eastbourne’s magnificent Victorian Town Hall. Designed by the Birmingham architect W Tadman-Faulkes in 1880, the building was opened on October 20th 1886. The mayor and chauffeur were our guides with a behind the scenes look at the workings of local government.
Our apologies to those who could not get a place on this visit but numbers had to be limited for practical reasons.
Photos by Linda Keller
This is how the bar of the Birling Gap Hotel looked in the 1960s with its unusual indoor thatch. The woman behind the bar is Sandra Collins, who ran the hotel along with her husband Graham and father-in-law Jack. Additions to hotel were given planning permission in July 1988 and again in September 1989, so it is likely that the bar stayed the same until then. Thanks to Esther and Sid Worsfold for supplying this information.
KEEPING OUR WORD ON A "SCRAP OF PAPER"

This Roll of Honour contains the names of old boys of Eastdean and Friston School, who served their King and Country in defence of our homes and lives, in the Great War 1914-1918. When right fought might, keeping our word on a 'scrap of paper'.

Perhaps you have read this on the newly restored Roll of Honour, now hanging in the Village Hall, and wondered what it meant.

The 'scrap of paper' referred to is the Treaty of London, signed on the 19th April 1839 by Great Britain, Austria, France, Prussia and Russia, guaranteeing the sovereignty of the newly recognised country of Belgium. Despite this Treaty, Belgium was invaded by Germany on 4 August 1914 and, as a result, Britain declared war on them. The German Chancellor (von Bethmann-Hollweg) was reported to have been angered by the move and said that "just for a scrap of paper Great Britain was going to make war on a kindred nation who desired nothing better than to be friends with her."